Search Macaron Honey

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

La Gazzetta

This afternoon, I had a fabulous and leisurely meal with a friend from San Francisco. As always, I prefer to lunch at a gastro resto on a good recommendation and perhaps pay a bit more than to pick a random cafe or brasserie and pay the same price for lunch and get a so-so meal because it never fails that regret for having not planned correctly sets in as soon as the bill arrives and I think "I just spent 30 dollars for a lunch of tartar and frites at a corner cafe". This day, I chose the resto, La Gazzetta, because I have heard great things about the food and the neighborhood + my friend is a chef there so I know the scoop--the bread is baked in house, they have an oven perfect for making pizza and the menu changes weekly (oh, and the price is right).

We had a delicious treat today of an "entrée" + a generous plat for 16 euros (mine was 19 because I chose the bavette). The entrée is served like tapas -- 3 different little plates for each person. Today it was a cup of gaspacho, a slice of pizza with courgettes and roquette, and a simply delightful piece of mackerel with a puree of sweet potato and sprig of tarragon. It was great to be able to try 3 different plates for the entree to get a feel for the style of the restaurant. For the plat, there are 4 choices, each with the same garniture. This afternoon, it was caramelized cauliflower and a few leaves of mellow onions and a bit of garlic. I chose the bavette which was nicely cooked and the garniture was a nice change from the frites I usually get with bavette from a brasserie or a cafe.

As for the portions, for 16 euros are quite generous as my friend ordered the veau for her plat and it was enough for 2 people. Of course we ordered dessert but shared it because we were both quite full from the meal. It was a biscuit noix and chocolat + a raspberry semifreddo. Very nice ending to a great lunch. I highly suggest La Gazzetta for lunch with a good friend. No resos needed for lunch. For dinner, it's best to call a few days ahead as I hear they are always complet.

Happy eating.
...
La Gazzetta
29, rue de Cotte
75012
01 43 47 47 05
lagazzetta.fr

No comments: