Search Macaron Honey

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Soldes and Bacon + Butter = Pure Delight

Today the soldes started! Soldes are the bi-annual, state-regulated sales in France. The sales start around 30% off and then progress to 50% and then 75% as the weeks go by.

After school today, I forgot my camera in the locker room at school so I doubled back to get it and walked past a shoe store. I went in because the every clothing and shoe store has huge signs in the window about how much their discounts are. I ended up buying a pair of gladiator sandals because it is so hot every day in Paris that you need to wear sandals of some sort. Yes, in Paris people are wearing gladiators just like on the West Coast, but definitely not as embellished as in San Francisco, just classic and simple.

With new shoes in hand and per usual, also carrying home my work from today's practical, the delish Quiche Lorraine. This quiche is prepared in such a way that my choice to come to france to study was positively reinforced. In the recipe, lardons are fried in butter. Finally, a cuisine and culture that encourages the lovely marriage of two favorite ingredients, butter & bacon, which I feel are unreasonably looked down upon in California. Oh, you deprived every day salad eaters!

Quiche Lorraine



Bacon!

No comments: